Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan, Pune 411008, India.
Reception: +91 (20) 2590 8001
Fax: +91 (20) 2590 8186
- Applicants seeking admission for a D / Integrated Ph.D Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience in one of the Participating Institutes may appear for the Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) at one of the Exam Centers.
- Participating Institutes have their own eligibility criteria. Applicants who are expected to complete their final examinations by August of each year are also eligible to appear for the JEST exam of that year.
- Applicants must pay an application fee and register to appear for the exam.
Research at IISER Pune covers a wide range of research areas in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. In addition, we actively encourage research initiatives that span multiple disciplines.
IISER Pune offers modern research laboratories and computational facilities as well as comfortable housing for students selected into a graduate program at the institute. A core component of graduate student life at IISER Pune includes opportunities to participate in a broad range of seminars, meetings and workshops. This gives our students a chance to interact with people from other research organizations within the country and abroad.
To take the interdisciplinary idea further, IISER Pune has now started an Interdisciplinary Biology Program. Students with backgrounds in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering, and Computer Sciences who wish to apply their knowledge to understanding concepts in biology will benefit from this Program.
Applications for the PhD program are invited from candidates with a MS/M Sc in any Basic Science discipline or M Tech or MBBS or M V Sc or M Pharm. All shortlisted applicants are required to take a written test followed by an interview. Candidates who have qualified the CSIR/ICMR/Gate exam are also required to appear for this entrance test for admission to the PhD program at IISER Pune.
IISER Pune conducts PhD entrance exams twice a year: Spring Session (Interviews in December) and Fall Session (Interviews in June). Candidates can opt for more than one branch of Science, based on their interests. Apply separately for each program following the links below.
Visit the individual institute pages to view the programmes and subject areas being offered.
|ARIES||Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital: Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics.|
|HBNI||Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai|
|HRI||Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad:Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics|
|ICTS||International centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore: Astrophysical Relativity, Data Assimilation and Dynamical Systems, Statistical Physics and Turbulence, and String theory and Quantum Gravity.|
|IGCAR||Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam: Solid State Phase transformations, Superconductivity, Structure and dynamics of soft condensed matter, Band structure studies, Accelerators based Irradiation induced phenomena, Low-dimensional systems, Physics of interfaces, Nano-materials, Thin films technology and Theoretical physics|
|IIA||Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Astronomical Instrumentation, Optics, and Atomic Physics.|
|IISc||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore: Condensed Matter Physics (Experiments and Theory), Astronomy and Astrophysics (Theoretical), Atomic and Optical Physics (Experimental), Biocrystallography and Bio-informatics, and High Energy Physics (Theoretical).|
|IISER BHOPAL||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal: Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiment),
Soft Matter Physics (Theory), Biophysics, Laser Plasma Interactions, Ultrafast Physics (Experiment),
Astrophysics and Cosmology, High Energy Physics (Theory, Phenomenology and Experiment), Non-linear Optics
|IISER KOLKATA||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata: Condensed Matter Physics, Field Theory, Classical & Quantum Gravity, Cosmology, Solar Science, High Energy Physics, Non-linear dynamics, Statistical Physics, Soft Matter, Optics & Spectroscopy, Atomic physics, Biophotonics, Spintronics, Nanoscience, NMR, Quantum Information|
|IISER MOHALI||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali: Quantum Theory, Quantum Information Processing, NMR-Methodology, Optics, Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Thermodynamics, Non-linear Dynamics, String Theory, Ultrafast Physics, and Low Temperature Mesoscopic Physics.|
|IISER PUNE||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune: Field Theory, Theoretical Particle Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Non-linear Dynamics, Complex Systems and Networks, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Quantum Information Processing, Radio Astrophysics, Atomic Physics and Quantum Optics, Energy Studies, Solar and Plasma Physics, Nanosciences, Scanning Probe Techniques, and Semiconductor Physics and Devices.|
|IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram: Experimental Condensed Matter: Magnetic and Superconducting materials, Nanoscience and Energy materials, Photonics, Soft Condensed Matter, Semiconductor Physics and Devices, Surface Sciences and Nano-scale Plasmonics, Terahertz and Ultrafast Spectroscopy; Theory: Cosmology, Classical and Quantum Gravity, Gravitational Wave Physics, Quantum Information Theory, Quantum Field Theory, and Statistical Physics.|
|IMSc||The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai: Theoretical Physics, and Theoretical Computer Science.|
|IOP||Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar: Physics (Condensed Matter, Nuclear and High Energy Physics) and Accelerator-based Research.|
|IPR||Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar: Physics (Experimental and Theoretical).|
|IUCAA||Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune: Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics.|
|JNCASR||Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore: Experimental and Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, Statistical Mechanics, and Materials Science.|
|NBRC||National Brain Research Centre, Manesar: Molecular, Computaional and Systems Neuroscience. Sensory & motor systems, learning & memory, language & speech processing, functional neuroimaging: EEG, MEG, fMRI, MRS, stem cells, developmental neurobiology, neurogenetics, neurodegenerative and neurodevelopmental disorders, cancer signaling & glial tumor biology.|
|NCRA-TIFR||National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune:Astronomy and Astrophysics.|
|NISER||National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar: Theoretical High Energy Physics and Lattice QCD, Experimental High Energy Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiment), Optics and Metamaterials.|
|PRL||Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad: Theoretical Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Space and Atmospheric Sciences, Planetary Science and Geo-Sciences.|
|RRCAT||Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore: Lasers and their Applications, Laser Plasma Interaction, Cold Atom Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Superconductivity and Magnetism, Crystals and Thin Films), Nanomaterials and Applications, Non-linear and Ultrafast Optical Studies, Beam Physics, and Free Electron Laser.|
|RRI||Raman Research Institute, Bangalore: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Light and Matter Physics, Soft Condensed Matter Physics (Liquid Crystals, Physics in Biology), and Theoretical Physics.|
|SINP||Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata: Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiments), Nuclear Physics (Theory and Experiments), High Energy Physics (Theory and Experiments), Astroparticle Physics, Quantum Gravity, String Theory, Mathematical Physics, and Materials Science (Surface Science and Plasma Physics).|
|SNBNCBS||Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata: Astrophysics and Cosmology, Chemical and Biological Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, High Energy Physics and Quantum Field Theory, Mathematical Physics, Nanosciences, Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Statistical Physics, and Complex Systems.|
|TIFR-TCIS||TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad: Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science of Nonequilibrium, Soft & Living matter, Fluid Dynamics, Intense Laser-matter interactions, Computational Physics, Statistical physics, NMR of Biophysical & other systems|
|TIFR||Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, High Energy Physics, Nuclear and Atomic Physics, Theoretical Physics|
|UGC-DAE CSR||UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore: Surfaces, Interfaces, Thin Films and Nanomaterials, Physics at Low Temperatures and High Magnetic Fields, X-ray, Optical and Electron Spectroscopic Studies Using Synchrotron and Laboratory Sources; Electrical, Magnetic and Thermal Properties of Condensed Matter; Condensed Matter studies using Magnetic Neutron Diffraction, Nuclear Technique Based Condensed Matter Physics-Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy, Mossbauer Spectroscopy, Experimental Nuclear Physics, Gamma Ray Spectroscopy of Nuclear High Spin States, and Nuclear Reactions.|
|VECC||Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata: Accelerator Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science, Nuclear Physics (Experiments and Theory), Relativistic Heavy Ion Collisions (Experiments, Theory, QCD and QGP), and Physics of Neutrinos (Experiments).|
- Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines.
- Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram and SNBNCBS.
- Talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics students may also apply to be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR. At TIFR, only B.Tech Eng. Phys. and M.Sc. Physics are eligible.
- Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science. Visit website of IMSc for further details. M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science for Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC.
- At HRI, IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, SNBNCBS, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc., Ph.D. programme in Physics.
- At IMSc, graduates with Bachelor’s degree in science/ mathematics/ /statistics /computer science/information technology/Engineering will also be considered for admission in Physics and in Theoretical Computer Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. All candidates successful in the course work of this programme shall be awarded an M.Sc. degree.
- At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics) / B.E. / B.Tech. degree will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-Ph.D. programme in subject areas mentioned above.
- At IIA, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered.
- At NBRC, B.Sc. (Physics/ Mathematics) & B.E./ B.Techi (Computer Science) will be considered for integrated M.Sc-Ph.D in Neuroscience.
- Graduates with M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics / B.E. / B.Tech. degree in subjects mentioned above will be considered. Visit IIA website for details.
- Graduates with Bachelor’s degree in Physics/Technology/Engineering will be considered for the Int. Ph.D. programme in Physics.
- Applications for JEST- 2015 can be submitted ON-LINE ONLY.
- Last date of ON-LINE submission of applications is December 8, 2014.
- Before filling the ON-LINE application form, candidate is requested to read the following instructions carefully.
To apply online, applicants must create an account using a valid email-id. This account will remain valid from the time of account creation till one month after the date of declaration of results, for that year. Email-ids are linked to the created account as well as to the application, and will be used for all communications with the applicants. Therefore, the email-id should be active and must not be changed during this period. To submit application online, applicants must login to the created account and complete the application form. After submission, an unique submission number will be sent to your email-id. Please save all the emails sent to you and the unique submission number must be quoted by the applicant for any communication with the JEST authority.
- Register yourself before you login. It is assumed that you already have an email-id.
- To register, the candidate has to click on the “register to appear for the exam” link in the Homepage. You will receive an email with your account information after registering with a valid email-id. Follow the instructions given in the email for resetting your password and further login.
- Login to the JEST homepage with your username (your email-id) and password. Fill the form and save it, or, modify an already saved form. Press the “Submit Application” button ONLY when you have inserted and checked all the mandatory entries.
- Upload jpg files of your Passport size photo and scanned signature.
- Pay the application fee online using the State Bank of India i-collect facility. Please check the FAQ for details of the payment process.
- After ON-LINE submission of the application form and successful e-payment of the application fee, your submission procedure will be considered complete. NO modification will be allowed after this.
- While filling up the form, you will be asked to upload jpeg files of your passport size photograph and your signature. The size of the individual files should not exceed 100 Kilo bytes. Crop out the extra white portion from the background surrounding the image to retain clarity.
- Before uploading your photo and signature files, make sure you have given it a good name. File names should use alphabets, underscores, and numbers only. Special characters such as spaces, (, #, &, punctuation, etc., should not be used in filenames. If you use a logical naming system, then it will be printed without any errors.
- In case the jpeg file of your photo which has been taken with camera exceeds the limit, you should compress the file size using compression softwares available in the websites, such as.
- Your signature can be scanned with a digital scanner, and saved as jpeg file for uploading. In case this file size produced by scanner also exceeds 100 kB limit, you can compress it using the same tools as explained above.
- Please make sure the image type is jpeg. For checking, right click and go to the properties of the file being uploaded.
- Dimension of the image files should be the following
- Minimum of 100 X 125 pixels or maximum of 240 x 300 pixels (width x height) for photo and 150 x 30 pixels (width x height) for signature
- Please check ALL the properties of these image files before uploading.
An Application Fee of Rs. 300 (Rs 150 for SC/ST applicants ONLY) is required to be paid along with the application which can be paid online using Debit/Credit cards and Net-banking. Payment by any other mode will NOT be accepted.
- On successful submission of ON-LINE application form you will receive an E-mail with following information from JEST Website.
- Application data after final submission containing Unique Submission Number and filled in data.
- Please save this e-mail for further correspondence with the JEST authority.
- If you do not receive the above-mentioned e-mail after submission of application form and the successful e-payment of the application fee, contact JEST authority.
- Admit card will be available in the JEST webpage after 15th of January, 2015. Bring a printout of the downloaded admit card and one of your photo-ids for entry into the examination centre. Admit cards will NOT be sent by post/email.
Ahmedabad Aligarh Allahabad Bangalore Bardhaman Bhopal Bhubaneswar Chandigarh Chennai Delhi Goa Guwhati Hyderabad Indore Jaipur Kanpur Kharagpur Kochi Kolkata Madurai Mumbai Nagpur Nainital Patna Pune Raipur Roorkee Sambalpur Silchar Siliguri Srinagar Trivandrum Udaipur Vishakhapatnam
Online applications will be accepted from November 1, 2014
Last date for online submissions is December 8, 2014
JEST 2015 will be held on Sunday, 15 February 2015
To know more Information about please click here