Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi 110021, India
Phones: +91-11-24122512-14; +91-11-24195000;
South Asian University (SAU) is an international university established by the governments of the eight member nations of South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC) viz. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. SAU started its operations from the academic year 2010. The university, established with an aim to evolve a South Asian consciousness, now offers Master and M.Phil./Ph.D. level programmes in Development Economics, Computer Science, Biotechnology, Applied Mathematics, Sociology, International Relations and Law. SAU attracts students from all member nations and its degrees are recognized by all the eight SAARC countries.
The university is currently functioning from Akbar Bhawan campus, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. It will eventually move to its 100 acre campus in Maidan Garhi, South Delhi, which is expected to be ready by the year 2017.
M.A. (Development Economics)
M.Sc. (Computer Science)
M.A. (International Relations)
LL.M. (Master of Laws)
[Detailed Criteria specific to each programme may be viewed by clicking on the appropriate programme.]
- For admission to the Master level programmes in SAU, a minimum of 15 years of education under 10+2+3 (i.e., 12 years schooling and 3 years Bachelor’s degree) pattern is essential. Applicants who have completed 4 years of Bachelor’s degree after 10+2 (12 years of schooling) are also eligible, though the Master-level programme will be of two years duration for them. Applicants who have obtained Bachelor’s degree in less than 15 years (e.g., under 10+2+2 pattern) will not be eligible for admission to SAU’s Master level programmes. However, students who have completed two years Bachelor degree and thereafter have also completed one year of M.A./M.Sc., can apply for admission to a Master level course at SAU subject to their fulfilling other prescribed eligibility conditions including percentage of marks which will be average of marks obtained in Bachelor degree and 1st year of M.A./M.Sc. course.
- For admission to the LL.M. Programme in SAU, a minimum of 17 years of education (12 years of schooling + 5 years Integrated B.A./LL.B. degree with prescribed percentage of 50% marks) is the minimum prescribed eligibility. Candidates who have completed 12 years of schooling + 3 year Bachelor’s degree + 3 years LL.B. degree or 12 years’ schooling and 4 years’ LL.B. degree with prescribed percentage of 50% marks are also eligible.
- For admission to M.A. (Development Economics), M.A. (Sociology) and M.A. (International Relations) programmes of study, the minimum prescribed eligibility percentage in Bachelor’s degree is 50%. For LL.M., the minimum prescribed eligibility percentage in LL.B. degree is 50%.
- For M.Sc. (Applied Mathematics), M.Sc. (Biotechnology) and M.Sc. (Computer Science) programmes of study, the minimum eligibility percentage in Bachelors degree is 55%.
- Applicants who have not yet completed the Bachelor’s degree, but are yet to appear for their last year / semester exam , may also apply for admission to Master degree programmes and appear in the entrance examination provisionally. If qualified in the admission test, their admission will be confirmed only if they fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria of aggregate percentage of marks in Bachelor’s degree. Please note such candidates are given a provisional chance in anticipation of their qualifying degree examination with prescribed percentage of marks/grades and they will not have any claim to admission.
- No candidate shall be eligible for admission to a Master’s programme unless he/she has attained the age of 20 years for admission to the programme as on 1st October 2015. Provided that the age limit may be relaxed by the President on the recommendations of the Admission Committee on the merit of each case.
- All students who are offered admission will be required to produce original copies of their final results including mark sheet/grade sheet of their qualifying degree examination at the time of admission. Master level students in all programs of SAU shall be full-time students and shall not be permitted to take full or part-time jobs.
M.Phil./Ph.D. (Computer Science)
M.Phil./Ph.D. (International Relations)
M.Phil./Ph.D. (Legal Studies)
M.Phil./Ph.D. (Applied Mathematics)
[Detailed Criteria specific to each programme can be viewed by clicking on the appropriate programme.]
- For admission to M.Phil./Ph.D. level Programmes in SAU, a minimum 17 years of education (12 years of schooling + 3 year Bachelor’s degree + 2 year Master’s degree with prescribed percentage of marks as indicated below) is the minimum prescribed eligibility.
- For M.Phil./Ph.D. (Legal Studies) those who have done LL.B. followed by a one-year LL.M. degree with the prescribed 50% marks are also eligible.
- For admission to M.Phil./Ph.D. programmes in Economics, Sociology, International Relations, and Legal Studies, the minimum prescribed eligibility percentage in Master’s degree is 50%; and for M.Phil./Ph.D. programmes in Applied Mathematics, Biotechnology and Computer Science, the minimum prescribed eligibility percentage in Master’s degree is 55%.
- Applicants who have not completed their Master’s degree and are yet to appear for their last year/semester exam for Master’s degree may also apply for admission to M.Phil./Ph.D. Programmes and appear in the Entrance Examination. If selected, their admission will be subject to their fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria of aggregate percentage of marks in Master’s degree.
An Entrance Test will be conducted simultaneously throughout the SAARC Region on April 5, 2015. Application fee for appearing in the entrance test is US $10 or Indian Rupees 600/-. Applicants, who can pay the application fee by credit/debit cards or Net Banking have the option to apply online. For other applicants, there is an option to download the application form, fill it and mail it to SAU along with a bank-draft for US $10 or Indian Rupees 600/- drawn in favor of “South Asian University” payable at New Delhi.
|Fee||SAARC Students||Non-SAARC Students|
|Tuition Fee||· US$ 440 per semester (US$ 880 per year) for day scholars, payable in July & January
· US$ 500 per semester (US$ 1000 per year) for boarders, payable in July & January
|· US$ 4500 per semester (US$ 9000 per year) for day scholars, payable in July & January
· US$ 5100 per semester (US$ 10200 per year) for boarders, payable in July & January
|Admission Fee (Non-Refundable)||US$ 100 (payable only once at the time of entering SAU)||US$ 100 (payable only once at the time of entering SAU)|
|US$ 100||US$ 100|
|Students’ Aid Fund||INR50 per semester||INR50 per semester|
|*Security deposit will not be refunded in case a student leaves the university mid-way without completing the course.|
Hostel Facilities: Hostel accommodation (on sharing basis) is provided only to those students who come from outside National Capital Region (NCR). Hostel accommodation is NOT provided for spouse/children or other family members of the admitted students. All students staying in hostel will have to strictly adhere to hostel rules. Hostel Fee will be US $ 60 per academic semester for students from SAARC region. Staying in hostel will not be allowed after the completion of the course.
Mess charges will be extra and are likely to range between US$ 50 to 75 per month.
Medical Facilities: All admitted students are covered under Medical Group Insurance Scheme up to INR 1,50,000 for which full premiums are paid by the University. In addition, the University has its own Health Centre where limited OPD facilities are provided to all students. Expenses incurred by students on purchase of medicines (prescribed by the University doctors) are reimbursed to them as per SAU rules.
Last date of Application: March 09, 2015
Entrance Test Date: April 05, 2015
Classes begin: July 26, 2015
To know more Information about entrance please click here