CDS Exam or Combined Defence Service Examination is an exam conducted twice every year by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). It is an exam to induct officers into the Indian Defence Forces i.e. the Army and the Airforce.
A Combined Defence Service Examination will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission on 14.02.2016 (SUNDAY) for admission to the under mentioned Courses:
No of Vacancies:
- Indian Military Academy, Dehradun 142th Coursecommencing in January 2017 [including 25 vacancies reserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate (Army Wing) holders] – 200 vacancies
- Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala course commencing in January 2017 Executive (General Service) (including 06 vacanciesreserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders (Naval Wing) – 45 vacancies
- Air Force Academy, Hyderabad (Pre-Flying) Training Course commencing in January 2017 i.e. – 32 vacancies
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai 105th SSC Course (for Men) communing in March April 2017 – 175 vacancies(approx)
- Officers Training Academy, Chennai 19th SSCWomen (Non-Technical) Course commencing March April 2017- 05 vacancies (approx)
- The date of holding the examination as mentioned above is liable to be changed at the discretion of the Commission
- The number of vacancies given above is tentative and may be changed at any state by Service Head Quarter
Since women candidates are eligible for OTA only, they should give OTA as their first and only preference
If a male candidate is competing for Short Service Commission (Army) only, he should indicate OTA as the one and only choice
However, a male candidate competing for short service commission course at OTA as well as permanent commission course at IMA, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy should indicate OTA as his last preference otherwise OTA will be deemed to be the last choice even if it is given a higher preference by the candidate
Agartala, Gangtok, Panaji (Goa), Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Patna, Aizawl, Imphal, Port Blair, Allahabad, Itanagar, Raipur, Bangalore, Jaipur, Ranchi, Bareilly, Jammu, Sambalpur, Bhopal, Jorhat, Shillong, Chandigarh, Kochi, Shimla, Chennai, Kohima, Srinagar, Cuttack, Kohima, Srinagar, Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Dehradun, Lucknow, Delhi, Madurai, Tirupati, Dharwar, Mumbai, Udaipur, Dispur, Nagpur, Vishakhapatnam
Nationality: A candidates must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1963with the intention of permanently setting in India, or
- a person of India origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India. Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii),
- and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Govt of India
Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal
A candidates in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him, her by the Govt. before declaration of result by UPSC
- For Indian Military Academy (IMA):Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 02nd January 1993 and not later than 1st January 1998 only are eligible
- For Indian Naval Academy (INA):Unmarried Male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January 1993 and not later than 01st January 1998 only are eligible
- For Air Force Academy (AFA) – Age:20 to 24 years as on01st January 2017 i.e. born not earlier than 02nd January 1993 and not later than 01 January 1997 (Upper age limit for candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable upto 26 yrs. i.e. born not earlier than 02nd January 1991 and not later than 01st January 1997) only are eligible
Note: Candidate below 25 years of age must be unmarried
- For Officers Training Academy (SSC Course for Men): Male candidates (married or unmarried) born not earlier than 02nd January 1992 and not later than 01st January 1998 only are eligible
- For Officer Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical Course):Unmarried Women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorces (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible
They should have been born not earlier than 02nd January, 1992 and not later than 01st January 1998 are eligible
- For Indian Military Academy , Officers’ Training Academy:Degree from a recognized university or equivalent
- For Indian Naval Academy:Bachelor of Engineering
- For Air Force Academy:Degree of a recognized University with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level or Bachelor of Engineering
Graduates with first choice as Army, Navy, Air Force are to submit proof of graduation provisional certificate on the date of commencement of the SSB interview at the SSB
For CDS exam, applicants can be from any stream but for entry to Air Force and Navy, candidates should have studied physics and maths up to Class 12
Candidates who are studying in the final year degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply but they will be required to subject proof of passing the degree examination to reach the Army Head Quarter, Rtd CDSE Entry, West Bloc III, R.K. Puram, New Delhi-110066
Candidates appearing at the degree or equivalent examination are also eligible to compete. Such candidates will be required to submit the proof of passing the requisite qualifying examination by a date to be specified in the Commission’s Notice for the Examination.
Candidates should be physically fit as per the physical standards for admission to the Combined Defence Services Examination.
Candidates should know about the Exam pattern for Combined Defence Services Examination (I) 2016
Application Fee: Candidates (excepting Female, SC, ST candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees two hundred only) either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by Cash, State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State bank of Hyderabad, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa, Master Credit, Debit Card
Candidates are required to apply online only using the link website
The applicants are advised to submit only single application, however if due to any unavoidable situation, if he, she submits another, multiple applications, then he, she must ensure that application with the higher RID (Registration ID) is complete in all respects like applicants’ details, examination centre, photograph, signature, fee etc
The applicants who are submitting multiple applications should note that only the applications with higher RID (Registration ID) shall be entertained by the commission and fee paid against one RID shall not be adjusted against any other RID.
All candidates whether already in Govt service including candidates serving in the Armed Forces, Govt owned industrial undertakings or other similar organizations or in private employment should submit their applications online direct to the commission.
Persons already in Govt service, whether in permanent or temporary capacity or as work charged employees other than casual or daily rated employees or those serving under the Public Enterprises are, however, required to inform their Head of Office, Dept in writing that they have applied for the examination.
Candidates serving in the Armed Forces are required to inform their Commanding Officer in writing that they have applied for this examination.
They are also required to submit NOC in this regard at the time of SSB interview.
Candidates should note that in case a communication is received from their employer by the Commission withholding permission to the candidates applying for, appearing at the examination, their applications will be liable to be rejected, candidatures will be liable to be cancelled.
Candidates are not required to submit alongwith their applications any certificate in support of their claims regarding age, educational qualifications, SC, ST, OBC and fee remission etc.
The candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfil all the eligibility conditions for admission to the examination.
Their admission at all the stages of examination for which they are admitted by the commission (written examination and interview test) will be purely provisional, subject to their satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions
If on verification at any time before or after the written examination or interview test, it is found that they do not fulfil any of the eligibility conditions, their candidature for the examination will be cancelled by the commission
In the first instance all qualified candidates eligible for SSB interview will carry their original Matric, Higher Secondary School certificate as also their degree, provisional degree certificate, marks sheet with them while going to the services selection centres for SSB interview
Candidates who have not yet qualified the final year degree examination must carry with them a certificate in original from the Principal of the College, Institution stating that the candidate has appeared, is appearing at the final year degree examination
Candidates who do not carry the above certificates with them while going to the services selection centres shall not be allowed to appear for the SSB interview
Admission Certificate: The commission will not enter into any correspondence with the candidates about their candidature except in the following cases
The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of the examination
The e-Admission Certificate will be made available in the UPSC website for downloading by candidates
No admission certificate will be sent by post
For downloading the e-Admission Certificate, e-Admit Card the candidate must have his, her vital parameters like RID and date of birth or roll number (if received) and date of birth or name, father’s name and date of birth available with him, her
If a candidate does not receive his, her e-Admission Certificate or any other communication regarding his, her candidature for the examination three weeks before the commencement of the examination, he, she should at once contact the Commission
Information in this regard can also be obtained from the Facilitation Counter located in the Commission’s Office either in person or over telephone 011-2338527, 011-23381125, 011-23098543
In case no communication is received in the Commission’s Office from the candidate regarding non-receipt of his, her e-Admission Certificate at least 3 weeks before the examination, he, she himself, herself will be solely responsible for non-receipt of his, her e-admission certificate
No candidate will ordinarily be allowed to take the examination unless he, she holds an e-admission certificate for the examination
On receipt of admission certificate, check it carefully and bring discrepancies, errors, if any, to the notice of
The courses to which the candidates are admitted will be according to their eligibility as per age and educational qualifications for different courses and the preferences given by the candidates
The candidates should note that their admission to the examination will be purely provisional based on the information given by them in the application form
This will be subject to verification of all the eligibility conditions
If a candidate receives an e-admission certificate in respect of some other candidate on account of handling error, the same should be immediately brought to the notice of the Commission with a request to issue the correct e-admission certificate
Candidates may note that they will not be allowed to take the examination on the strength of an e-admission certificate issued in respect of another candidate
Candidates are required to apply online only by using the website Detailed instructions are available on the above mentioned website.
Releasing Date of CDS (I) 2016 Notification: 07th November 2016
Online applications can be filled from 07th November 2015 to 04th December 2015
CDS (I) 2016 Admit Cards Download Date: January-February 2016
Date of Commencement of Exam: 14th February 2016 (Sunday)
Duration of Exam: 01 Day
To know more Information about entrance please click here